Tag Archives: divorce

Equal Means…Well, Equal

Share Button

Equal means equal led to the termination of Alimony in Virginia – Last week, Virginia’s Supreme Court overruled two previous lower court rulings, and determined that a same-sex relationship analogous to marriage was grounds for termination of support (Luttrell v. Cucco, Record No. 150770). The Supreme Court determined that interpreting the law to mean that “two identically-situated individuals with identical spousal awards would receive opposite treatment if one cohabits in a same-sex relationship and the other cohabits in an opposite-sex relationship” would be an untenable result.

The couple was married in 1992, separated and filed for divorce in 2007. As part of their settlement agreement, Mr. Luttrell agreed to pay monthly spousal support to Ms. Cucco for a term of 8 years which would terminate if, among other reasons, a court granted termination for cohabitation. In July 2014, Mr. Luttrell filed a motion for adjustment of the spousal support on the grounds of cohabitation. At the hearing, Ms. Cucco did not deny Mr. Luttrell’s allegations but instead pointed out that her relationship was with another woman and contended that, therefore, she was not cohabitating since both the separation agreement and the Virginia statute contemplated only a relationship between a man and a woman. The Virginia Court of Special Appeals agreed.

In 2015 the United States Supreme Court ruled in favor of same-sex marriages and in November 2015, the Virginia Supreme Court agreed to hear Mr. Luttrell’s appeal. The Virginia Supreme Court’s ruling overturning the lower court’s interpretation makes it clear that same-sex relationships are now on the same footing as opposite-sex relationships when considering cohabitation as a grounds for divorce.

In the coming weeks Aronson LLC will publish a blog series covering the tax aspects of alimony payments and the tax consequences when alimony payments are re-characterized as child support or distributions of property.

For information on how Aronson can provide assistance in estate, trust and marital disputes click here or contact Sal Ambrosino at 301.231.6272.

Share Button

Divisions of Tax Payments for Divorcing Spouses

Share Button

Filing separate tax returns this year after years of filing jointly?  If you or your former spouse paid estimated taxes during 2015, the tax is generally credited to the first Social Security number shown on the prior tax return, even if an estimated tax voucher with just the spouse’s Social Security number were included with the payment.  This poses difficulty in the event the estimates were intended for the person appearing as the spouse on the prior joint return because, upon filing of separate returns, the IRS records will not show the spouse has having paid in any estimates.

In contemplation of separate filings, both spouses should document and agree as to how the estimated tax payments are to be allocated.  Correspondence to the IRS well in advance of the filing, stating how you both want payments to be allocated, will save the aggravation of dealing with IRS notices later.  Even so, a follow-up after return filing may be necessary, which is a lot easier to do if you have already agreed upon the tax allocation.

A similar problem can arise concerning the overpayment on the prior year joint return requested to be applied to the subsequent year.  By default the IRS applies this overpayment to the first Social Security number shown on that return.  While IRC 6402(a) states that an overpayment is to be allocated to the spouse whose combination of tax liability and payments gave rise to the overpayment, in practice the IRS has no idea what that allocation should be.  Trying to get the IRS to move the funds from overpayments can get difficult, requiring numerous letters and phone calls to accomplish the division.  It may therefore be easier to treat the refund as a martial asset and offset it against the assets awarded to the spouse who benefited from the tax overpayment.

For further information or to discuss your specific situation, please contact Larry Rubin, CPA, Aronson’s tax controversy practice lead, at 301-222-8212.

Share Button

Can a Noncustodial Parent Claim the Dependent Deduction?

Share Button

Do you intend to claim your child as a dependent even though you are not the custodial parent? While you may provide more than one-half the support for the child, you are not automatically entitled to claim the dependent deduction and credits.

In a recent Tax Court decision, TC Memo 2013-280, the petitioner maintained he was entitled to the dependency deduction because he and his ex-wife had shared legal custody and the children visited him frequently. The divorce decree awarded the ex-wife full physical custody and was silent as to who claims the dependent deductions. The Court denied petitioner’s claim.

By default, the dependency deduction and various related credits are the exclusive benefit of the spouse who has physical custody for the majority of the year. A custodial parent is the parent with whom the child spends the most nights. In order for the non-custodial spouse to claim the exemption, the custodial spouse must sign an exemption release, IRS Form 8332, and provide that to the non-custodial spouse. This form then must be filed with the non-custodial spouse’s tax return.

Oftentimes, the tax aspects of divorce are not as well thought out as they should be, given various tax issues that only manifest themselves after the deal is inked. By that time it is very difficult, if not impossible, to revisit the divorce agreement. Involving a tax advisor early in the negotiation process is the best way to avoid surprises.

For further information or to discuss your specific situation, please contact Larry Rubin, CPA, Aronson’s tax controversy practice lead, at 301.222.8212.

Share Button

View Archives

Blog Authors

Latest Webinar Videos