New Form 5472 Filing Requirement for U.S. Disregarded Entities Owned by a Foreign Person

Form 5472
Share Button

On December 13, 2016, the IRS issued T.D. 9796, new regulations that require U.S. disregarded entities owned by a foreign person to file U.S. Federal Form 5472. The new Form 5472 filing requirement applies for tax years beginning after December 31, 2016 and ending on or after December 13, 2017.

Form 5472 is required to be filed by a reporting corporation that engages in reportable transactions with a U.S. or foreign related party. For this filing requirement, a reporting corporation is defined as either a U.S. C Corporation owned directly or indirectly by a 25% foreign shareholder or a foreign corporation engaged in a U.S. trade or business. The new regulations now state that a reporting corporation for the Form 5472 will include a U.S. disregarded entity that is owned directly or indirectly by one foreign person. A U.S. disregarded entity is a company or a grantor trust which is owned 100% by one person that is treated as the owner of all assets, liabilities, and income of the entity. A U.S. disregarded entity is considered to be owned indirectly by a foreign person if it is owned through one or more other disregarded entities or grantor trusts. The new regulations also expand the scope of reportable transactions to include the foreign owner’s capital contributions to a U.S. disregarded entity and distributions from a U.S. disregarded entity to its foreign owner.

The IRS has not yet updated U.S. Federal Form 5472 to reflect the new changes beginning with the 2017 tax year. It is unclear whether a U.S. disregarded entity with reportable related party transactions will be required to file Form 5472 separately with the IRS apart from a U.S. tax return. Based on the new regulations, the U.S. disregarded entity is classified as a U.S. C Corporation solely for purposes of the Form 5472 filing requirement. The IRS has not yet announced whether the U.S. disregarded entity would be required to file a U.S. corporate income tax return with the Form 5472 attached to report transactions with related parties.

In order to file Form 5472 as a reporting corporation, the U.S. disregarded entity will be required to obtain a U.S. FEIN as a taxpayer identification number. When applying for a FEIN for the U.S. disregarded entity on the U.S. Federal Form SS-4, it is necessary to provide the name and U.S. FEIN, Social Security Number (SSN), or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) of the foreign owner as the responsible party. This will require a foreign nonresident individual owner of a U.S. disregarded entity to apply for an ITIN on U.S. Federal Form W-7. There are certain procedures that a nonresident individual must follow to file the Form W-7 ITIN application. The processing time for the Form W-7 ITIN application with the IRS can take several months.

The new regulations also exclude a U.S. disregarded entity with a foreign owner from certain regulatory exceptions to Form 5472 recordkeeping requirements. Those exceptions typically exempt small corporations from the recordkeeping requirements if the corporation has less than $10 million in gross receipts and $5 million or less of reportable related party transactions that are less than 10% of gross income. A U.S. disregarded entity with a foreign owner is not eligible for such exceptions.

Form 5472 is an important U.S. international tax reporting requirement that should not be overlooked. The failure to file or the late filing of the Form 5472 can result in a $10,000 USD penalty per related party, per year.

For more information, please contact Alison Dougherty at or 301.231.6290. Alison will be presenting a webinar on Form 5472 filing requirements and the new regulations on September 12, 2017. For more information and to register, please see visit the Strafford website.

About Alison N. Dougherty

Alison N. Dougherty has written 37 post in this blog.

Alison N. Dougherty provides tax services as a Director at Aronson LLC. She specializes in providing outbound international tax guidance to U.S. individuals and companies with activities in other countries. She assists U.S. taxpayers with U.S. tax reporting and compliance for offshore assets and foreign accounts. She also specializes in providing inbound international tax guidance to nonresident individuals and companies with activities in the United States. Her responsibilities include U.S. federal and state tax compliance for corporations, partnerships, and individuals. She also provides transactional tax planning and structuring services.

Share Button

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

View Archives

Blog Authors

Latest Webinar Videos