Author Archives: Soma Ganesh

About Soma Ganesh

Soma Ganesh is a Senior Accountant in Aronson’s Nonprofit Services Group. Soma is a versatile, results-oriented professional, specializing in tax and accounting services for nonprofit clients. With more than 10 years in the industry, she brings a wide breadth of industry and technical experience to her engagements. Soma received her Master’s Degree in Accounting from the University of Chennai, India. She is a member of the AICPA, MACPA, and Maryland Society of Accountants.

Soma Ganesh

Small Business Health Care Tax Credit for Tax Exempt Employers

checklistAre you a Tax-Exempt Employer? You may still be eligible for a refundable tax credit!!!

Even if you have no taxable income, you may be eligible to receive the credit as a REFUND so long as it does not exceed your income tax withholding and Medicare tax liability. The refundable portion of credit is subject to sequestration. You must file Form 990T, Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Return in order to claim the credit, even if you don’t ordinarily do so.

The small business health care tax credit benefits employers that:

  • have fewer than 25 full-time equivalent employees
  • pay an average wage of less than $50,000 a year
  • pay at least half of employee health insurance premiums

To be eligible for this credit, you must have purchased coverage through the small business health options program, also known as the SHOP marketplace.

For Tax Years 2010 through 2013, the maximum credit is 25 percent of the premiums paid for small tax exempt employers such as charities. For tax years beginning in 2014 or later, the maximum credit increases to 35 percent of premiums paid. The credit is available to eligible employers for two consecutive taxable years. To be eligible a small employer must pay premiums on behalf of employees enrolled in a qualified health plan offered through SHOP.

If you can benefit from the credit this year but forgot to claim it on your tax return, there’s still time to file an amended return. Refund limitations may apply. Generally, a claim for refund must be filed within 3 years from the time the return was filed or 2 years from the time the tax was paid, whichever of such periods expires the later, or if no return was filed by the taxpayer, within 2 years from the time the tax was paid.

If you have any questions, please contact Soma Ganesh of Association Industry Services Group at 301-231-6200.

View Archives

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 12 other subscribers

Latest Webinar Videos