The Definition of Marriage According to the Treasury
- Monday, 26 September 2016 15:37
- 24 Views
In 2013, the Supreme Court struck down Section Three of the Defense of Marriage Act, which paved the way for same sex couples to have their marriages legally recognized. On September 2, 2016, the Treasury Department issued final regulations outlining the definition of marriage for federal tax purposes. The regulations provide that:
- A marriage under civil law or common law is recognized as a valid, lawful marriage for federal tax purposes.
- “Spouse” is defined as an individual lawfully married to any other individual.
- “Husband and wife” is defined as two individuals lawfully married to each other regardless of gender.
- Individuals who are joined
Read more here:: Tax